In 1946, WFSM was founded by the Flora Stone Mather Radio Club, “broadcasting” via a public address system. Since that time, it evolved into an AM carrier-current station (WRAR, starting in 1955) and then (on February 26th, 1967) to the FM broadcast station it is now. WRUW 91.1 FM began as a ten watt mono station serving the University Circle neighborhood of Cleveland. WRUW gained stereo capability in 1974 and, in 1980, raised its power to 1,000 watts. The evolution of WRUW was competed when, on March 5th 2002, WRUW increased its power to 15,000 watts. WRUW now serves a large portion of the Northeast/Northern Ohio region, from the Ohio/Pennsylvania border (to the east) to Toledo and parts of Michigan (to the west) and portions of Canada (to the north).