WRUW FM turns 45 years old!
In 1946, WFSM was founded by the Flora Stone Mather
Radio Club, "broadcasting" via a public address system. Since that
time, the station has evolved into an AM carrier-current station (WRAR, starting in
1955) and then on February 26th, 1967 to the FM broadcast station it is now.
WRUW 91.1 FM began as a ten watt mono station serving the University Circle
neighborhood of Cleveland. WRUW FM began broadcasting in stereo capability in 1974, and in 1980,
raised its power to 1,000 watts.
The evolution of WRUW was competed when on
March 5, 2002, WRUW increased its power to 15,000 watts, making it one of Ohio's most powerful college radio stations! On January 15, 2006 WRUW programmers moved into the new, state of the art on-air studio.
... So what does all of this mean for you, the listener? Well, in addition to getting to know us a little better, we are inviting all of our listeners to celebrate with us not only our 45th birthday, but also the 10 year anniversary of our 14,000 watt power increase! 2012 is clearly a year of democracy and listening for all!
Stay updated for special 45th birthday and 10 year anniversary events on our website, Facebook, and Twitter. Special edition T-shirts and a brand new Scene Magazine schedule will be printed this Spring. Official dates will be announced soon.
Pick up a copy and as always stay tuned in to WRUW FM 91.1 Cleveland!